Stags v Skolars Match Report

Stags v Skolars Match Report

31st March 2018


HALF TIME 6 - 10


The Stags lost out to The Skolars in a close fought Good Friday derby game, played in some of thw worst weather seen at Pennine Way for many years! The game was in the balance right up to the end and it was a releived Skolars side when they heard the final hooter.

London kicked off in the heavy rain that was set to continue for the next 80 minutes, by which time was it not only difficult to identify different players it was hard to tell which team was which.

Hemel have clearly learned a lesson from previous games this season in which they have conceeded tries almost from the kick off. This week they were straight on the pace and as well as showing some solid defence to keep te Skolars at bay they showed promise in attack.

Both sides seemed keen to play the game up the middle of the park where the ground looked firmest and tested each other out but it was the Stags who got the scoreboard moving first on 15 minutes. A grubber kick by Ricky Hough found its way over the line and a quick thinking Jordan Fitzpatrick-Parry was the first to reach it to dot it down for 4 points. Braden Hunter making the tricky touchline conversion easy to take the Stags to 6 points.

Skolars seemed to step their game up a notch and put heavy pressure on the Stags line ganing a couple of goal line drrop outs, finally the Stags defence was breached on 23 minutes, former Stags man Jy-Mel Coleman going in under a pile of bodies. Thorman converted to bring the scores level.

A penalty to Skolars in front of the goalposts on 34 minutes was kicked by Thorman, then another for dissent almost on the stroke of half time was again taken by a grateful Thorman making the score at the break Stags 6 Skolars 10.

The teams came out for the second half with the rain sstill teeming down but the game was still there to be won for either side. With only 4 minutes gone a penalty to the visitorrs for a higgh tackle saw them again elect to take the easy option of two [oints. Those three penalties either side of the break were to prove pivitol as the 6 points taken by London were the difference between the sides at the close of play.

A try by another ex Stag, Eddie M'Baraga, with 15 mnutes to go, Thorman completing a 100% performance with the boot seemingly put the game out of Hemel's reach and when another penalty went against them 2 minutes later, Chris Heil kicked the ball away in frustration earning him 10 minutes in the bin.

The Stags never gave up the chase thogh and with just 3 minutes left on te clock, Jono Burns went over for a try quickly converted by Hunter but ultimatly the time rn out and as a releived Skolars team celebrated the Stags were left thinking what might have been without those 3 costly penalties.

Stags v Skolars Match Report