Hemel Stags v Hunslet match report

Hemel Stags v Hunslet match report hemelsta.champmodel.dyndns.info

18th February 2018


HALF TIME 0 - 10

Hemel were unable to get the better of their visitors from South Leeds but the new Coaching staff of Dean Thomas and Jack Howeison will be able to take away a lot of positives.

Apart from Hunslet dominating the first ten minutes, running in two tries before the Stags were able to respond. The remaining 70 minutes were much more even with Hemel a match in most departments.

The writing was on the wall when Hunslet's Nicholson was held up over the line before, in the next set, Winger David Foggin Johnston squeezed in at the right corner. On the ten minute mark Joel Gibson crossed in the left corner for a converted try and it looked like it would be a long afternoon for the hosts! 

It's to the Stags' credit that they regrouped and although Hunslet were on the front foot they were met with an impressive Hemel defence which kept them at bay for the rest of the first half, only coming close once when Liam Makay thought he had breached the line only to be pulled back for being off side at the kick through.

As half time approached the Stags seemed to grow in confidence and constructed some good moves in attack but the two sides turned round at 0 - 10.

Hemel started the second period the brightest, attacking the Hunslet line from the off. Williams was held up over the line then the Stags got a repeat set for their efforts before they got on the scoreboard on 43 minutes. A grubber kick from Ricky Hough was chased down by players from both sides but it was Kadeem Williams who got to the ball first to touch down for the try.

Tempers flared when Kadeem Williams was guilty of a high tackle which brought about a bit of pushing and shoving on the half way line. Williams' penalty was a yellow card and Hunslet's James Watson received a similar punishment for his reaction.

Two tries in 4 minutes to Hunslet, the first under the posts for George Flanagan and the second to Duane Straughter who was the recipient of a defence splitting pass, saw Hunslet head into a 22 - 4 lead when Cain Southernwood converted both, but Hemel would not lie down. A quick witted interception by the impressive stand off Liam Darville set him off on a 70 yard dash to cross the Hunslet line. Liam Coe converted and the Stags had pulled the score back to 10 - 22.

Hemel certainly looked the stronger now. James Thornton was held up over the line but Hemel scored a third try when Mitch Vincent broke the defensive line, before passing inside to Darville to scamper over for his second of the afternoon. The Hunslet fans vocally declaring they believed the pass to be forward, perhaps with some justification!A clever scoot by the Hunslet No 9 Jack Lee, improved by Southernwood was just about the last action of the game.

Hemel Stags v Hunslet match report hemelsta.champmodel.dyndns.info