Hemel fall short at Coventry

Hemel fall short at Coventry hemelsta.champmodel.dyndns.info

7th August 2017


Games between these two sides are usually close fought affairs and this was no exception. The ten tries being split equally, it was the kicking of Brad Delaney that gave the home side the spoils. Hemel were guilty of indiscipline at times. At half time they looked well and truly out of contention but came back strongly in the second half, the clock finally running out on their efforts. 

Stags were first on the board, after six minutes Matt Welhan sold the Bears a dummy and went through the gap for an unconverted try. Coventry came back straight away having a try by Freeman ruled out for knocking on in the grounding but Michael Russell got them level in the left corner, Delaney missing the conversion. 

The game continued to see saw with first a try for Hemel through Vincent and then for the Bears by Delaney, both converted to make the scores level again at 10-10. 

Coventry started to build dominance and put Hemel on the back foot. Delaney got his second try just before the half hour mark, converting the score himself and when James Kelly dotted the ball down on the hooter after a strong charge by Morrison, Delaney's conversion gave the Bears a 12 point half time lead. 

A 47th minute penalty to the Bears when Hemel were guilty of speaking their mind to the referee (not for the first or last time!) was kicked by Delaney, a good decision as it turns out.  Another charge by the giant Jack Morrison gave the Bears good field position, finished off by a long looping pass to Hayden Freeman on the left wing who crossed in the corner. Delaney missing the difficult conversion. 

Hemel started their comeback at this point and with 25 minutes of the game left a mix up behind the Coventry goal line saw the ball bouncing around and Jack Wray was the quickest to react and touched down. Vincent converted the score but had to leave the field shortly after due to an ankle injury.

Perhaps Paul Emanuelli could see what was happening with the Stags come back and he slotted the ball over for a 1 pointer.  Two Hemel tries in the final five minutes, the first by Sam Crowther under the posts and the second by Connor Bower in the left corner, the first converted by Fairhead were not quite enough to give the Stags the victory.

The Stags are away again this coming Sunday when they travel to South Wales to take on the Ironmen.

Hemel fall short at Coventry hemelsta.champmodel.dyndns.info