HEMEL STAGS MATCH REPORT hemelsta.champmodel.dyndns.info

4th June 2017




HALF TIME 10 – 16




Hemel Stags produced their best display of the season by far as they were narrowly beaten by last week’s League 1 Cup finalists North Wales Crusaders.


Following a minutes silence for the victims of the recent terrorist attacks, Hemel were the first on the scoreboard on 8 minutes. Some neat passing and well-timed runs led to Winger Darren Forde feeding the ball to Alex Williams for the try, successfully converted by Mitch Vincent.


Hemel continued to rule the game and on 16 minutes took their score into double figures. Crusaders were penalised for a dangerous spear tackle, a tap start was taken allowing Stand-off Brett Whitehead to jink his way across the pitch until he found a gap big enough to race through and cross the line. Vincent surprisingly missing the kick to improve the score.


With the score now 10-0 against them, Crusaders seemed to wake up and realise they were in a game, helped by a Hemel dropped ball and the resulting scrum Simon Atherton easily broke through the Stags defence to open the scoring for the Welshmen. Thomas Johnson failed with the conversion but it wasn’t long before Atherton touched down again. This time Johnson did get the ball between the sticks and the scores were level at ten each.


The final try of the first half went to Luke Warburton who just squeezed in at the left corner. A good touchline kick from Johnson saw the Crusaders go into the break 6 points up.


Hemel started the second half the brightest but it was Aaron Moore who increased the visitors lead with an unconverted try in the right-hand corner


Hemel fought back strongly and after North Wales spilled the ball in the centre of the park Declan Thompson finished a fine move involving some good Hemel passing moves.


The Stags were numerically disadvantaged when Corey Hanson was sent to the sin bin for dissent and Crusaders were not going to let their advantage slip by. Some good running in the middle of the pitch culminated in an outrageous offload in the tackle by Jack Hansen who found Thomas Johnson who went over for his second try which he duly converted himself.


Hemel were not about to lie down though, on 73 minutes, Crusaders tried to kick through on the last tackle but Darren Forde scooped the ball up superbly before breaking through the defence and sprinting upfield, a pass outside found Mitch Vincent who went like a rocket down the wing for 70 yards before crossing the line and going infield to touch down under the sticks for the try of the game. Mark Barlow kicked the extra 2 points.


Hemel could see they were in a position to at least get a draw from the game and continued to push forward so it was a relieved Welsh side when the final hooter sounded.


HEMEL STAGS MATCH REPORT hemelsta.champmodel.dyndns.info