8th May 2017



H T 12 – 36


The Stags lost to high flying Workington Town but gave a much-improved performance than in recent games.


Hemel kicked off and a fumble by the visitors gave the first attacking opportunity to them but they failed to capitalise giving the advantage to Town who got straight to work, scoring their first try after just 5 minutes, the score being converted by Stand Off Carl Forber. Forber did not miss a single kick all day in what was clearly a Man of the Match performance.


Hemel could not get sight of the ball as Workington dominated the first quarter of the game although they did not help themselves by making schoolboy errors such as kicking out on the full at the restart following Workington’s second try. With only 15 minutes gone and 24 points to nil down it looked like it was going to be a long afternoon for the Stags.


On twenty minutes Town spoiled the ball and it turned out to be the catalyst for a Stags comeback. They actually had possession of the ball for long enough to get on the front foot and started to put together some impressive passages of play, matching the Cumbrians at this point. Joss Nathaniel finished off a good move by crossing in the corner for a try well converted by Mitch Vincent.


Stags scored again only 3 minutes later. Hard drives by Props Corey Hanson and Reece Williams opened up the Town defence enough for Lewis Fairhurst to touch down. Reliable Vincent again adding the extras to make the score 12 -24 to Workington. Hemel would have been content going to the break at that score but 2 more tries for Workington made it 12 – 36 at the half time hooter.


Hemel started the second stanza brightly and felt aggrieved when the referee ruled out a “try” for a forward pass. This seemed to be the catalyst for Workington to dominate, scoring 12 minutes into the half opening up the Hemel defence with a good cross field kick.


Some good interplay by the Workington backs and some weak Hemel tackling as the visibly tired meant that Town started to rack up the score but Hemel never gave up and actually had the last word on 71 minutes, Loose Forward Brett Whitehead crossing for a try converted by Lewis Fairhurst, deputising for Vincent who was helped off earlier in the game with an ankle injury. Despite the score line there were definitely positives for Hemel to take away from the game.


Next week the Stags face another class side in Doncaster. Kick off is as usual 2:00pm on Sunday at Pennine Way.