Hemel Stags 20 Newcastle Thunder 52

Hemel Stags 20 Newcastle Thunder 52 hemelsta.champmodel.dyndns.info

11th July 2016

Hemel Stags 20Newcastle Thunder 52

Half Time 6 - 18

Hemel Stags showed a big improvement over the previous few games in a highly entertaining game on Sunday at Pennine Way but they still fell short of a shock win losing out to Newcastle Thunder by 20 points to 52.

Both teams spent the  first few sets testing each other out in the middle of the park before Thunder got the scores rolling with a try to Mikey Woods following a penalty against Hemel for holding down. Clarke converting the score.The Stags drew level on 17 minutes, a kick through on the last by the impressive scrum half Brad Delaney was gathered by pacey winger Reece Rance to dot the ball down. Delaney it was who also made the conversion. Bizarrely being made to take the kick twice when the referee adjudged the Newcastle players for encroaching  into the field of play before the kick was taken, even though the ball had gone between the posts! What the official should have done was to award the goal and then give Hemel a penalty for the infringement. Fortunately for the referee his potential embarrassment and any controversy was avoided when Delaney made the second kick successfully

.Another penalty by Hemel, this time for a high tackle, brought about a try for Jason Paine under the posts, Clark again converting to take the score to 6 - 12.. Former Hemel player Derrell Olpherts scored against his former team minutes later. Clarke again converted well to take the score at half time to Hemel 6 Newcastle 18 and it still looked like anyone's game to win.

Hemel got straight on the mark with only 1 minute of the second half gone. Newcastle kicked off on the full and from the resulting penalty Josh Spearing found space to cross the line. Delaney missing the kick but Hemel were back to only an 8 point deficit

Another former Hemel man, Hooker Evan Simons scored for the visitors with what is his trademark dummy. Clarke converting. The next Newcastle try was very controversial. They worked the ball out to the left wing but the last pass to Fox was so far forward that all the players, including Newcastle stopped playing, Fox's momentum took him over the line and when he realised the referee had not pulled play back, he walked under the posts to touch down. Even the Thunder Coaching staff were embarrassed by their luck!

The next try for Newcastle was also clearly well forward but it was one of those days for Hemel and Simons profited with a converted try. A superb break by the visitors full back saw Simons get the ball in space to claim a well deserved hat trick. Two more tries, for Fox and Parker followed as the Hemel defence clearly tired but this time

Hemel refused to give up and came back at Thunder. Big prop Aaron Hall charging over in determined fashion before fellow prop Matt Ross touched down after some hard work by Mike Stewart.  Delaney made the kick just before the final hooter.

Hemel Stags 20 Newcastle Thunder 52 hemelsta.champmodel.dyndns.info